Monday, December 8, 2008

Minor hilarity/The potential for bread

After cooking my first meal and washing the dishes in my apartment, I had to laugh as I realized I was seriously slouching to reach the sink. The counters are probably ten inches lower than anything you’d find in the States, so for this tall gringa, it’s going to take some getting used to.

In other news, we made our way to a Jumbo today, which can only be described as a Chilean Super Walmart. To my delight, I found a gluten-free bread mix, gluten-free all purpose flour, rice flour, and gluten-free muesli! The bread is currently in the oven and my fingers are crossed as there's no way to tell what temperature the oven is set for. As with the burners on the stove and the hot water heater, we have to use matches to light the oven. It's terrifying as the flames come flying up toward your hand and make a huge whooshing noise, but surely I'll get used to it. So yes, I have absolutely no idea what temperature the oven is cranking away at but I smell bread, so something good is happening.

No comments: